Monday, April 6, 2009

Duck, Duck, Oww

The other day, Nathan and I were out and about and my mother-in-law called to see if we could pick her up from work because she had a flat tire. No big deal. We were all packed into the car anyway. She works at a nursing home and we were driving around in the parking lot waiting for her to be finished. This is where the story starts to get interesting.
All over the property there are ducks. As we were aimlessly driving around, we were looking at the ducks and wondering at the fact that they are just left to wander in and around the parking lot. Then we spot what looks like a duck beat down going on. Seriously, there were like 5 ducks that appeared to be pecking, kicking, and holding down this one duck. It was kind of disturbing to watch and I may have said something silly to my husband like, "Stop the duck carnage." At my insistence that he save the duck and stop the carnage, he got out of the car and walked over to shoo the ducks away. Then simultaneously we came to the same realization...
It was mating season. I busted out laughing so hard I had tears running down my face by the time Nathan returned to the car. What initially looked like "duck carnage" was actually baby duck making (it looked more like a duck gang rape), which I think was more disturbing to see than a duck beat down.
Thank God, Fiona is not old enough to have noticed the scene and asked about it because I can only imagine the "birds and bees" talk that would have followed. Oh the joys of nature.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

I had that same experience my first year at ND! It was quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have seen in my life!

Jessica said...

I had no idea. I have never seen anything like that...I will try and shed my children's eyes next time ducks are around.

Megan R. said...

LOLOLOLOL OMG, I am DYING laughing! Hilarious!!